FORUM MENUFORUM MENU

Wild Ivy bush out of control !

Home Forums Gardening Discussions Garden Maintenance Wild Ivy bush out of control !

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Grabede 1 month ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Bloominglovely18
    Participant

Hi all,

I am finally getting my garden under control, would welcome any help and advice for an Ivy plant that has grown out of control over my shed !

Thanks in advance

Barb

Grabede
    Participant

@bloominglovely18 welcome to the forum – only gardening forum I use because they give you good discounts in their shop for posting on the forum 😉
    Anyway Ivy over the shed – I had the same thing when I moved house a few years ago – this is what I did:

I used roundup – active ingredient glyphosate and it worked a treat – the secret is though to apply it to tender new growing shoots and broken stems or leaves where the ivy is trying to renew and repair its growth. If you spray it directly onto the established waxy ivy leaves it will not work because the plant will not absorb the glyphosate. So beat the ivy (I used an old tennis racket), wait a couple of weeks until new shoots have started growing on the broken stems and then spray with glyphosate. For the bigger established ivy plants cut them off close to the ground, get some glyphosate based weekiller put it in a small narrow container and stick the cut stem into it and tape it shut – the plant will “drink” the weedkiller and get it right down to the roots. Hope this helps!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright © 2018 Go To 4 Gardening