What can i do on my new allotment

Home Forums Gardening Discussions Allotments What can i do on my new allotment

This topic contains 25 replies, has 24 voices, and was last updated by  Naked_knitting 2 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author

Gardening God
    Participant

First, post here, so Hi to all 🙂

Just managed to bag myself an allotment local to myself

Looking to grow the usual beans, potatoes etc, but wanted to know if there is any sort of allotment etiquette that i should know about?

Thanks

Abi Jackson
    Participant

Had my allotment for a couple of years now and really enjoy working on it.

My advice initially would be to work out the type of soil your working with as that will have an impact on the types of plants you can work with.

FusciaHeaven
    Participant

Allotment etiquette lol Don’t walk on anyone else’s allotment and you won’t go far wrong 🙂

Gardening God
    Participant

Ha! Great advice Fuscia 😀

PaulaG
    Participant

What about trying Pippa Greenwood’s Winter collection as mentioned in this article https://goto4gardening.co.uk/maintaining-vegetable-plot/

The advantage is you get expert advice from Pippa which is invaluable if you’re new to this game!

JSmyth1984
    Participant

ANy Advice about what I can do in my allotment at this time of year?

YH
    Participant

How about planning some crop rotation, and starting to prepare the ground for them. Boris wrote a good article about this a few weeks ago

Boingboing
    Participant

At this time of year, it’s all about planning! Get digging and organising 🙂 I’ve seen some great bargains in shops like Wilkinsons

Gardening God
    Participant

thanks for all of the great advice last year guys n girls 🙂 bit of a rookie year last year, but hoping that my new planting plan will produce a bumper crop this year!

Keeleyamymc
    Participant

In the same boat don’t know where to start with my new plot it’s huge

Applefrommars
    Participant

It’s usually best to grow something different from your neighbours – then you’ll be able to give away your surplus fruit and vegetables, and take advantage of theirs :o)

cjlgnan
    Participant

I too have just got a new allotment which I will be working with my son. It is on private land, a lovely position but unfortunately no mains water supply. We will have a water butt but could do with advice as to what sort of crops to grow that will not need too much watering.

gubka
    Participant

I wonder if I can do bbq during the summertime. The rules forbidden me from doing a bonfire. But I have got something like a fireplace made of brikes on 2 sides…

Jhw
    Participant

‘d go for something you like the most.and depend on how much space you have.

gmcvey
    Participant

hi
    I’m interested in finding out more about winter planting too.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright © 2021 Go To 4 Gardening