Soaker hose under turf?

Home Forums Gardening Discussions Lawns, Livestock Soaker hose under turf?

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 6 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Germanium 4 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Germanium
    Participant

Evening guys,

I’m thinking of re-turfing my entire lawn area over the winter and this hot weather has got me thinking – can you/is it an OK idea to put soaker hose under turf?

Thanks,
    G

Abi Jackson
    Participant

Hey Germanium,

Well … you could do and yes, it would help to keep the grass green
    BUT
    When you lay turf you want it to grow long roots into the ground and establish. If you lay soaker hose then the roots are very unlikely to grow and therefore the turf won’t establish.

So … yes, but not really advisable.

GF

Gardening God
    Participant

The other thing about laying soaker hose under roots … the roots themselves may wreck it! Plant roots have two main purposes – find food, find water. The roots will find your soaker hose and break their way in! Once you have laid the turf on top, you won’t be able to fix the broken hose!

It’s a no from me too in afraid.

GG

Marty Boy
    Participant

I wouldn’t put it under turf either. What you could do is have a length of soaker hose that you can just throw on top of the turf when it needs a water. Just remember to take it off once you have finished with it otherwise you will get marks/dead bits on your lawn!

Marty

Donna
    Participant

I woz thinking this the other day. Maybe i am just lazy.

Jonesy
    Participant

useful info, i had been wondering about this myself

Germanium
    Participant

thanks everyone – i didnt do it!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright © 2021 Go To 4 Gardening