Snails, oh my goodness, snails

Home Forums Gardening Discussions Ponds & Water Features Snails, oh my goodness, snails

This topic contains 11 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  alirphillips 3 years ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Jonesy
    Participant

My pond, my beautiful pond. It is absolutley full of little cone-shaped snails. Are they goodies or baddies? Should I be removing them, or admiring them? argh, someone please help me!!! 😉

Donna
    Participant

ummm … intersting question. i imagine some people will chime in and say its a sign that your water is healthy(?) id probably guess that remoivng them will kill them. what are they eating?

KeenGardener
    Participant

does your neighbour have an empty pond …… 😉 just kidding! i guess youd prob be best asking an expert here jonesy. whether you do something or not, the intoductin of a new species is always going to change the water in a pond. id be very wary about doing anything to mine incase it really damamged the eco system

Jonesy
    Participant

Donna – no idea what they are eating! Nothing looks like it is being eaten. I’m very confused!!

Keen – think i might get an expert in

Thanks guys

HaroldMe
    Participant

thats a weird one …. as far as i am aware, pond snails can only live in water. id be questioning how they got there!

Boingboing
    Participant

im not going to say anything about garlic butter …. (probably not a good idea)

FusciaHeaven
    Participant

oh no Boing! gross!

Jonesy
    Participant

so …. the expert is that they got into my pond somehow and all i can do is to pick them out by hand … oh great

Jonesy
    Participant

oh and boing …. no 😉

FusciaHeaven
    Participant

jonesy – how did it go? ive seen ponds just full of snails this year, really dont remember them being like that in previous years!!

Jonesy
    Participant

still working on it … netting them is taking sooooo long!

alirphillips
    Participant

What can you suggest to discourage snails from eating nasturtiums please? I need it to be animal friendly as neighbours have cats

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright © 2021 Go To 4 Gardening