should i be leaving out water for the bees?

Home Forums Gardening Discussions Wildlife Gardening should i be leaving out water for the bees?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  anagram88 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Abi Jackson
    Participant

i heard somewhere that in the hot weather bees die because they dont have enough water. should i be leaving water out for them? sugar water?

FusciaHeaven
    Participant

I was wondering about this. This year I have seen a lot of dead bumble bees on the path by my house :'( Wonder why so many more this year?

Marty Boy
    Participant

no idea about water, but Fuscia – i’ve seen a lot more than usual this year

Abi Jackson
    Participant

hmmm, ok. i want to help but maybe i should be just letting nature take its course (?)

Tane Mynott
    Participant

Hi I recently read an article by David Attenborough that it is good to leave out a spoonful of sugar for the need as it gives them the energy they need on between their flights from the hive to pollenating flowed and collection of the nectar

anagram88
    Participant

It may be a bit late now that the hot weather seems to have passed, but for future reference I laid out a shallow saucer of water throughout the heat wave (more for birds and hedgehogs than anything) and I did notice that certain pollinating species seemed to be drinking from it. Not bees in particular but if others were using it I expect bees would have been too? Worth a shot in future I guess? 😊

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright © 2020 Go To 4 Gardening