FORUM MENUFORUM MENU

poor strawberry crop this year

Home Forums Gardening Discussions Fruit & Vegetables poor strawberry crop this year

This topic contains 11 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  allotment57 3 weeks, 2 days ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Marty Boy
    Participant

is anyone else experiencing a poor strawberry crop this year? Mine are in pots (keeping up with the watering) on my patio.

Jemspuddle
    Participant

It’s the first year for my strawberries but finding 50% seems to be eaten too soon. I need to invest in some mesh next year.

My wild plants were kept in a hanging pot for 4 years and have flourished in the long planter. They’ve been happily sending shoot out too which is exciting.

Could it be due to a small container?

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by  Jemspuddle.

Germanium
    Participant

Hmm interesting idea about the small container.

I never harvest my strawberries the first year – you have to pick of the flowers before they fruit then the mother plants will send out loads of baby plants ensuring a bumper crop in the following years

Marty Boy
    Participant

Hi @jemspuddle
    Do you have any pictures of your wild strawberry container?
    MB

Jemspuddle
    Participant

I’m not sure how photos work so here’s an upload to my Instagram picture. I managed to separate the old strawberry plant into 8 shoots (and soil) plus I bought 8 from b and q. You can definitely tell the strawberries apart. The older plant is smaller and less prone to being eaten by the slugs.

Jemspuddle
    Participant

Oh the older plant is a darker green and planted at the back of the beds.

Jack
    Keymaster

Hello @jemspuddle

Welcome to our gardening website – hope you enjoy it and thanks for your contributions.

I don’t think the older plant is thriving more because it was kept in a small container. As @germanium says it is VERY important not to let your strawberry plants fruit the first year – pick of all new flowers and your crop will be much better in following years (IMO the garden centres should write this on the label!)

We are looking at the picture issue – did you simply post a link to your instagram?

Just to let you know as well as the great advice you get here, each post (question or answer) earns you 100 points which earns you cash discounts in the online shop! 100 points is worth £1 in the shop – quickly adds up for our regular participants!

All the best

Jack

Jemspuddle
    Participant

I meant, now it’s not in a small hanging pot. Sorry for the mix up.

The Instagram link seemed to work but not sure whether there is an option to upload direct to page.

Marty Boy
    Participant

thanks for the picture and clarification!

poppybea
    Participant

Me too, in pots on patio, they’ve sprouted loads more than any other year but no flowers or fruit! 🙁🍓

Marty Boy
    Participant

@poppybea
    Anybody else know why strawberry plants aren’t flowering/fruiting?

allotment57
    Participant

We Had a bad crop last year, we added some lime and this year they did great. We had mega runners.
    Hope this helps, Brian

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright © 2018 Go To 4 Gardening