FORUM MENUFORUM MENU

Keen gardener how is everybody

Home Forums New Member Introductions Come and Say Hello Keen gardener how is everybody

This topic contains 10 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Natalie Dawn 2 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Riccomue
    Participant

I am a very keen gardener. This year I have planted tomatoes, onions, potatoes, strawberries, rhubarb and green beans. If anybody wants advice I am happy to try and advise.

Happy888
    Participant

Hi just entered gardening gloves free giveaway.I have a very long garden that needs a complete overall from sctatch so thought these would come in handy and any tips to make it easier for a single person so easy maintenance and on budget gteatly appreciated.

Natalie Dawn
    Participant

Rhubarb.. advise me please? How do I start, can I grow it in a pot? How do I look after, when can I harvest?
    Thank you

Marty Boy
    Participant

Hi @nadawn123 regarding planting rhubarb – are you starting from seed or are you intending to buy an established rhubarb crown?

Natalie Dawn
    Participant

Thanks for your reply I’m thinking crown

Grabede
    Participant

@nadawn123 good idea – that way you should get a good crop in your 2nd year. You can go for something like “Timperley Early” and plant them out in very early spring (you could even plant them out no actually if you can get hold of dormant crowns). It’s dead easy to look after – just make sure the place you plant them are weed free then dig in plenty of compost – make sure to plant rhubarb in a sunny spot with well drained soil – if the soil is too damp the crown might rot. Cut off any flowers and seed heads as they develop in the spring and summer and don’t harvest stalks during the first year as this will weaken the plant – in the second year you should get plent of rhubarb sticks from April till June – only the sticks are edible – the leaves are actually poisonous!!

Natalie Dawn
    Participant

@grabede thank you, can I grow in pots?

Grabede
    Participant

@nadawn123 – yes but you’ll need a big pot – minimum 50Cm diameter and 50cm depth I’d say – bigger though if poss – rhubarb plants get BIG – they need digging up and dividing every 4 or 5 years

Natalie Dawn
    Participant

@garbede would you think one of them grow bags, potato grow bags that u can get from bargain shops would be ok? If I made a wall of strawaround it to keep it snuggly during winter?

Grabede
    Participant

@nadawn123 – if the bag is big enough then it should work – don’t think you need to bother with the straw – rhubarb crowns are pretty hardy

Natalie Dawn
    Participant

@grabede thank you so much for your advice I’ll be making rhubarb pie in 2020 😀

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright © 2018 Go To 4 Gardening