FORUM MENUFORUM MENU

HOw to prune apple trees?

Home Forums Gardening Discussions Garden Maintenance HOw to prune apple trees?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Justsimple 1 year, 5 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Justsimple
    Participant

does anyone have some tips for me to prune my apple tree? its been a bit neglected

cheers!

fillin
    Participant

Open up the interior of the tree to ensure that there is good light penetration.If they are any shoots at the base that are shading the interior then it is better to remove them.Select 3-5 lower scaffold branches with good crotch angles.Make sure that the limbs with poor angles and excessive scaffold limbs should be removed at their base.If you are planing on doing the pruning during the winter make sure that the tree is not fertilized the following spring.

Justsimple
    Participant

oh wow, top tips there fillin!! thanks so much for those 🙂 i have an apple tree that is not grafted and about 6ft – no idea on variety (they are eating apples though). is there an optimum height i should let it reach?

thanks

fillin
    Participant

No, you normally prune small trees to strengthen the framework and larger trees are pruned to increase the quality of the fruit they bear and the overall shape.

Jen
    Participant

Good advice there, Fillin 🙂

Justsimple
    Participant

thanks again Fillin, top notch adivce 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright © 2018 Go To 4 Gardening