FORUM MENUFORUM MENU

How on earth do I get rid of blanket weed???

Home Forums Gardening Discussions Ponds & Water Features How on earth do I get rid of blanket weed???

This topic contains 8 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Bethd 5 days, 11 hours ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

PaulaG
    Participant

I have a pond. I have blanket weed.

How on earth do I get rid of blanket weed?????

Thanks!
    Paula

JohnEdges
    Participant

Hey Paula,

Couple of ways:
    * By hand (!)
    * Put barley extract in the water – can pick up from most garden centres (follow the instructions on the bottle!)

Hope that helps!

Luv2Dig
    Participant

Hi Paula,

You can help to prevent pond blanket weed by using a lake shade dye – you put a special dye in the water and it reduces the amount of light that gets to the weed so slows down/stops it from growing.

L2D

Anonymous

ooo L2D – I hadn’t heard of lake shade dye before!

Lindsey

PaulaG
    Participant

Evening everyone,

Thanks for the tips! No, I hadn’t heard of lake shade dye either Lindsey; I will investigate further!

Barley! Thanks John – the old answers are the best, hey?!

Paula

FusciaHeaven
    Participant

All sounds good, thanks for the advice everyone – what a helpful bunch you are.

Fuscia

rubberduck08
    Participant

You can get barley straw which comes in small netted bails. It does help to a degree.

PaulaG
    Participant

Yes thanks rubberduck08 I have used barley straw – with limited results. I actually found that the best way to combat my blanket weed was by clearing it all out and then heavily stocking the pond with lots of fast growing plants – the theory is that the plants will take the nutrients that the blanket weed would normally have used stopping the blanket weed from regrowing.

Bethd
    Participant

Are these remedies OK if you have tadpoles in your pond?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright © 2019 Go To 4 Gardening