Growing potatoes from the kitchen

Home Forums Gardening Discussions Fruit & Vegetables Growing potatoes from the kitchen

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  AlexRB 5 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

cummings888
    Participant

how long after flowering will the potatoes be ready planted them about three weeks ago starting to grow not sure when they will flower now. used to grow potatoes in sacks but now have more room for them to grow however they are in a small shed how often should i water them thanks emma.

Gerry
    Participant

Hi Emma,
    Welcome to the forum.
    For potatoes growing in sacks I’d wait at least 12 weeks. Don’t be tempted to root around for potatoes even when the potato plants start flowering at 8-10 weeks. You may find one or two potatoes but risk ruining the potato plants further output.
    Regarding watering just make sure the compost doesn’t dry out.
    Hope this helps
    Gerry

shrubbsy86uk
    Participant

hiya, she said that she usually uses sacks. this year she hasnt. 😂

Gerry
    Participant

My mistake 😏 but the methods are still the same whether growing potatoes in sacks or the ground. The only thing to take into account is that potatoes grown in sacks are often grown under glass so they are kept warmer and this can speed up their development (it’s called forcing potatoes) but in my experience it still is not worth looking for potatoes before at least 12 weeks.

cummings888
    Participant

thanks for that

AlexRB
    Participant

It would be really great if you could grow them just straight in the kitchen, and water your plants just by programming your kitchen faucet divided into two. Of course if you have such modern kitchen faucet, and if you don’t I can recommend those to you (over here: https://cozyhousetoday.com/best-kitchen-faucets/), you can kind some really hi-tech kitchen appliances and see all the pro and cons of every kitchen faucet.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 1 week ago by  AlexRB.

cummings888
    Participant

my potatoes are massive now can i trim them a little not sure if i can have them in a small greenhouse.

AlexRB
    Participant

cummings888, I think you should.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright © 2019 Go To 4 Gardening