FORUM MENUFORUM MENU

Blueberries

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Jack 6 days, 3 hours ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Shemian
    Participant

Can anyone give advice on growing blueberries. I have a bush i purchased last year and everything looked good until may/june when it was attacked by a pest. I dont like using pestacide…it is still alive now but worried it might not survive winter. thanks

Natalie Dawn
    Participant

I read that you need two bushes for them to be able to pollinate do you know if this is correct?

Jack
    Keymaster

Hello @shemian
    A very warm welcome to our forum – do you have any pictures so we can see what the pest was? Bird damage is common on blueberries – you can use netting or fruit cages for this. Aphids also are often a problem for blueberry bushes – you can physically remove them or encourage predators such as lady birds.

@@nadawn123 you are correct – for “rabbiteye” varieties (Vaccinium ashei) you need 2 bushes for cross pollination to get fruit. But for “highbush” blueberries (Vaccinium corymbosum) strictly speaking you don’t need 2 bushes for fruit however they do perform better with cross polination so as you say it’s always better to go for 2 or more blueberry bushes

All the best

Jack

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright © 2018 Go To 4 Gardening