FORUM MENUFORUM MENU

Best ways to store potatos over the winter?

Home Forums Gardening Discussions Fruit & Vegetables Best ways to store potatos over the winter?

This topic contains 14 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  Daniel Stone 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Boingboing
    Participant

evening,

I have so many potatoes i just dont know what to do with them all! How can I store them over the winter (or is it just not worth the hassle??)

TIA

Verity94
    Participant

Hey BoingBoing!

Get yourself some hessain sacks and keep them cool and dark or (fresher for longer) bury them in sand! The sand should be fine, good quality – try play sand.

Boingboing
    Participant

top tip there verity, thanks!

Jen
    Participant

Hey Boingboing, was your winter potato storing a success? Which method(s) did you try?

Jen

Boingboing
    Participant

Hey Jen! I used hessain sacks and sand (top tip there with the play sand Verity!) I had about 70% success rate, and i was pretty happy with that. quite a few had started sprouting (not mouldy at all so i included them in the ‘success’ figure) so ive planted them on my allotment. Feels a bit ‘circle of life’ lol

fillin
    Participant

I stored mine in a garden shed . If you have a garden shed, you could store it there. You just have to make sure that it is watertight. If you are planning to store them in piles then it would be better if you could store them in smaller piles rather than larger ones. The ideal temperature for storing the potatoes would be 4C and the humidity must be kept at 80 to 90 percent. Under good storage conditions, the potatoes will last upto 6 months. Always remember to store them in a cool and dark place with good air circulation. Potato bags made up of hessian is a good bagging option. In order to avoid dampness, it would be a good idea to use pallets to keep the bags off the floor.

Boingboing
    Participant

thanks fillin. i;ll think about that this autumn/winter!

Abi Jackson
    Participant

Cool dark and dry

XXXTENTACLES
    Participant

Just eat them all you silly willy

Drewski222
    Participant

Thanks great info

Ameerprince85
    Participant

Just eat them all you silly willy

Daniel Stone
    Participant

Make sure you don’t get them wet

Livvy
    Participant

Somewhere very cold

kevlisu2002
    Participant

in a dark cupboard in a brown paper bag is what i heard,haven1t tried it myself,dont use many spuds these days,only frozen jackets really

Daniel Stone
    Participant

The paper bag idea sounds good. I think I’ll try that with a few potatoes in a paper bag in my cloakroom this year and see what happens:-0

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright © 2018 Go To 4 Gardening