Bamboo removal

Home Forums Gardening Discussions Flowers & Shrubs Bamboo removal

Tagged: 

This topic contains 11 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  JLSHARP 1 year, 7 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

JLSHARP
    Participant

Looking for advice and which tools to use to remove bamboo please – it’s established and possibly 20 years old

Jack
    Keymaster

Is it a clump or has it spread all over the place by underground rhizomes?

JLSHARP
    Participant

It’s one huge clump. We have cut the bamboo to waist height (as we are hoping to transfer it to planters)

However, it’s proving very difficult to dig around it to start removing the clumps.

It’s very compact so I wonder / hope if it is on some sort of container underground

Jack
    Keymaster

You might have to dig out a few small clumps for containers and use weedkiller on the rest

JLSHARP
    Participant

Thanks Jack, we will give this a go x

Jack
    Keymaster

Good luck. Cut down the bamboo and wait a couple of weeks before using the weedkiller. Plants absorb weedkiller best when they are trying to generate new growth

JLSHARP
    Participant

Thanks jack, I’ll let you know how we get on x

Jack
    Keymaster

👍

Geist
    Participant

Two ways to do it.
    1) Dig a hole 1m (50cm) and use the spade to pull and dig it out. Or hire a small shovel car (machine digger of sorts)
    2) Cut out as much you can and add weed killer to the roots, don’t give it time to regrow because bamboo grows fast!
    3) keep cutting the roots even after adding weed killer so it prevents from growing again.

Geist
    Participant

If your dealing with the actual bamboo shoots, you’ll need to cut them 1 inch above soil and add the weed killer inside the shoots. Keep cutting the shoots each day because it will grow again and again and within a month it will be tall again.

Jack
    Keymaster

Thanks for sharing your experience with bamboo @geist

JLSHARP
    Participant

Thank you so much. I think we might try your second idea of a Machine digger as the soil seems incredibly compact when we’ve tried to use a spade. I’ll let you know how we get on!

• This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by  JLSHARP.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright © 2021 Go To 4 Gardening