FORUM MENUFORUM MENU

Living walls (gardening vertically)

Home Forums Gardening Discussions Garden Design Living walls (gardening vertically)

This topic contains 10 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  DennisVeal 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Jez Payne
    Participant

Hi everyone

I am getting involved with a group of students (14 -18 years old) who are looking to create a living wall out of old pallet boards. I have conducted a great deal of research on the internet and have seen garden designs that are both stunning and architecturally magnificent. However well beyond their means and abilities at this stage to create can any of you suggest a good link to do further research and what type of plants do well in a vertical wall?

Jack
    Keymaster

Hi Jez,

I actually met yesterday with a company who specialize in living wall design. They are very scientifically minded and are even looking at developing an aquaponic living wall system! anyhow I will be in touch with them next week and ask for their advice (don’t worry – I will mention limited means and abilities 🙂 )

Will keep you posted

Enjoy the site

Jack

Jen
    Participant

Hey Jez,

Where are you based? Have you seen the living wall that is on the side of The Rubens Hotel in London? It’s quite something to look at!
    https://www.rubenshotel.com/about/the-living-wall

Jen

PottedGirl
    Participant

Hey Jez,

What a great sounding project! I’d be fascinated to hear/see more as it develops.

Best of luck!
    PG

FusciaHeaven
    Participant

Thanks for posting that Jen – looks interesting. Although … i did get side tracked looking at the services they provide for their canine guests … oh London!

YH
    Participant

Hi Jez,

What happened with this project – did you get anywhere?

DennisVeal
    Participant

Do you think if this vertical gardening will work for a condo?
    I was hoping to grow a vegetable garden in my new condo in Richmond Hill. I am planning to grow it in the balcony of the condo. But after reading this thread, I think I should grow one in my condo too. I have a plain wall in my condo, which I was thinking of repainting with some eye-catching and a well appealing colour, that wouldn’t affect the subtlety of the whole condo. But now, I guess vertical gardening would be the best option for the wall.
    But I am not sure if I will be able to like @jen specified- https://www.rubenshotel.com/about/the-living-wall
    Are there any other good ideas for a vertical garden for condos?
    Also, it would be of great help, if someone could suggest me some vegetables that I could easily grow on the balcony or any other area in my condo.

Jack
    Keymaster

Hi Dennis,

There are loads of systems for vertical wall growing nowadays – containers and irrigation for them.

A popular choice of vegetable is strawberries.

I recently went to a flower show in Chatsworth House where there was a stunning living wall on display – I’ll try to upload some pictures later.

Jack
    Keymaster

Hi Dennis,

There are loads of systems for vertical wall growing nowadays – containers and irrigation for them.

I recently went to a flower show in Chatsworth House where there was a stunning living wall on display – I’ll try to upload some pictures later.

Jack
    Keymaster

Hi Dennis,

DennisVeal
    Participant

Sure @jack!
    Please share the photos…!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright © 2018 Go To 4 Gardening