November 22, 2017

How to prepare soil for planting

Posted In: Soil
  • Profile photo of Verity94
    Verity94 on: 7th July 2016 at 2:44 pm #9123

Hi,

My garden has really very poor soil and I was thinking about a ‘rip it all out and start again’ strategy.

Does anyone have any suggestions about how I can go about doing this?

Thanks,
    Verity

Profile photo of Marty Boy
    Marty Boy on: 7th July 2016 at 2:48 pm #9126

Hi Verity,

If you’re not precious about anything … I’d say just go for it! Clear it all and hire a rotavator.

Marty

Profile photo of FusciaHeaven
    FusciaHeaven on: 11th July 2016 at 8:34 pm #9187

Hey Verity,

Once you have cleared and rotivatored, I would suggest digging in as much organic matter as you can get your hands on, then a decent sprinkle of something like Fish, Blood, and Bone.

As soon as you have pulled everything up, make sure you keep the area covered as weeds will love it! You can use pretty much anything that light can’t get through – newspaper/card/tarp. If you are planning on leaving the area clear for a while, newspaper would be my choice as it will rot down nicely.

Hope that helps!

Fuscia

Profile photo of Verity94
    Verity94 on: 13th July 2016 at 8:43 pm #9202

Thanks, Marty – that sounds like a much better idea than digging it over with a spade!

Thanks, Fuscia – some useful advice there 🙂

Verity

Profile photo of Luv2Dig
    Luv2Dig on: 13th October 2016 at 9:31 pm #10150

hi verity.

yes – just go for it. id be tempted to let the ground rest too – do everything above, then cover and just leave to sit over the winter

Profile photo of HaroldMe
    HaroldMe on: 31st October 2016 at 10:05 pm #10287

hey verity, what did you decide to do? my garden doesnt require anything as radical, but id be very interested to hear how it works for you.

H

Verity94 on: 17th November 2016 at 10:49 pm #10477

Hey Harold,

I went for the full-on ‘rip it out and start again’ option. My garden is cleared, rotavated, and now covered for the winter. Can;t wait for the spring bulbs to appear in garden centres! I have a plan!!!

Verity

Profile photo of Gnomation
    Gnomation on: 18th March 2017 at 9:32 pm #11097

Hows it looking now verity? ive got quite a big border bed that has been giving me hassle and im thinking about just taking the whole lot out

Profile photo of Gnomation
    Gnomation on: 12th April 2017 at 9:24 pm #11299

i did it! now taking the time to really add some juicy stuff to the bed. some DIY compost and some green manure (im using mustard)

Verity94 on: 12th August 2017 at 9:43 pm #12503

so .. it turns out that i didnt have a plan! ha. annuals and veg planted while i take another season to decide what to do 😉

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.