FORUM MENUFORUM MENU

How to prepare soil for planting

Home Forums Gardening Discussions Soil How to prepare soil for planting

Tagged: 

This topic contains 9 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Verity94 1 year ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Verity94
    Participant

Hi,

My garden has really very poor soil and I was thinking about a ‘rip it all out and start again’ strategy.

Does anyone have any suggestions about how I can go about doing this?

Thanks,
    Verity

Marty Boy
    Participant

Hi Verity,

If you’re not precious about anything … I’d say just go for it! Clear it all and hire a rotavator.

Marty

FusciaHeaven
    Participant

Hey Verity,

Once you have cleared and rotivatored, I would suggest digging in as much organic matter as you can get your hands on, then a decent sprinkle of something like Fish, Blood, and Bone.

As soon as you have pulled everything up, make sure you keep the area covered as weeds will love it! You can use pretty much anything that light can’t get through – newspaper/card/tarp. If you are planning on leaving the area clear for a while, newspaper would be my choice as it will rot down nicely.

Hope that helps!

Fuscia

Verity94
    Participant

Thanks, Marty – that sounds like a much better idea than digging it over with a spade!

Thanks, Fuscia – some useful advice there 🙂

Verity

Luv2Dig
    Participant

hi verity.

yes – just go for it. id be tempted to let the ground rest too – do everything above, then cover and just leave to sit over the winter

HaroldMe
    Participant

hey verity, what did you decide to do? my garden doesnt require anything as radical, but id be very interested to hear how it works for you.

H

Verity94
    Participant

Hey Harold,

I went for the full-on ‘rip it out and start again’ option. My garden is cleared, rotavated, and now covered for the winter. Can;t wait for the spring bulbs to appear in garden centres! I have a plan!!!

Verity

Gnomation
    Participant

Hows it looking now verity? ive got quite a big border bed that has been giving me hassle and im thinking about just taking the whole lot out

Gnomation
    Participant

i did it! now taking the time to really add some juicy stuff to the bed. some DIY compost and some green manure (im using mustard)

Verity94
    Participant

so .. it turns out that i didnt have a plan! ha. annuals and veg planted while i take another season to decide what to do 😉

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright © 2018 Go To 4 Gardening